National Distracted Driving Awareness Month – April 2023
April 3, 2023
In Ohio, this mobilization will be more important than ever, as the State’s new distracted driving law goes into effect on April 4, 2023.
- Senate Bill 288 strengthens the law on use of cell phone and electronic devices while driving.
- The new law is a general ban on using or holding a phone while driving (with some exceptions)
- The use of cell phones and other electronic communications devices will now be a primary offense for all drivers- law enforcement can immediately pull over a distracted driver upon witnessing a violation.
- The law includes a 6-month grace period, where officers can only issue warnings.
- Ohio is developing a public education and communications plan to appeal to all drivers.